Monday 15 February 2016

Sunsets & Cold Sweats - 10/02/2015

This blog could very well be called 'Cold & Colder' or 'Between a Cold & a Cold Place', but enough of that musing!

A continual procession of winter storms have stifled my willingness to dive of late. In fact, I've watched with glee as friends have headed out only to be put off by the weather - does no one look at the weather forecast these days? However, earlier this week I noticed that the weather, whilst cold, was to be dry and wind free. It was our chance. the Zookeeper , Jester and a new friend as yet un-named joined me.

We drove up through heavy rain, sleet and even snow and snow covered roads as we crossed over the Rest & Be Thankful. Then as we arrived in the twilight gloom the clouds parted and the sun set over calm waters.

We kitted up and headed down. I was armed with my UV torch and was curious to discover what would fluoresce. As such photography was at a minimum.

As we hit the water it was cold. I was glad I'd worn my 2mm Waterproof Ice Hood. I do get a gentle ribbing for this, but seriously, it's freaking cold out there! We passed into warmer waters at around 4m.

The Zookeeper and I bottomed out around 20m before meeting Jester and his buddy on the reef. He signalled that he saw a dogfish at 22m and so we headed down to investigate. We never found it, but what we did find was another thermocline. It was cold down there. We were caught in the sweet spot between two thermoclines.


Now, at this point I was sure I could hear whale noises, but closer investigation revealed it was the Zookeeper moaning with cold into her reg. It was pretty chilly (5c). We headed slowly up, with both of us chilling all the time shivering enough to put ourselves into a cold sweat at the thought of how cold it was! :)


We came out to find the others on the surface dekitting. We chatted about the cold, but at least it was dry and clear and the milky way was resplendent.

So what fluoresced? Well.....
  • Nothern sunstar
  • Prawns
  • Short clawed squat lobsters
  • Ballan wrasse

Setting Sun
Setting Sun
Northern sunstar

No comments:

Post a Comment