Friday 7 July 2017

Lanzarote Day 1&2 - Charlotte Reef & the Flamingo Wall -01/07/2017

Days 1&2 saw me dive the same dives two days on the trot. The first with my guide Reinus,  and the second with Gill.i.am after I had established that the diving would be to her tastes.

Now I said in my introductory post that one of the reasons to come here was that we both wanted to see seahorses and angel sharks. Neither dive site disappointed.

At Charlotte Reef (one of two local house reefs on both days no sooner had we dropped down to about 4m when the guides pointed to the seaweed attached to a rock. We looked closer and there was a perfectly camouflaged seahorse rocking back and forward in the swell.

After that, we passed a slew of the usual sub tropical reef fish including:

  • Moray eels
  • Ornate wrasse
  • Dusky grouper
  • Triggerfish
  • Varible seaslugs


Oh, and my new favourite fish, the Bastard Grunt - follow the link it's a real fish.

With Gill deciding to skip the nearby Flamingo Wall - a site where on the first day I saw two angel sharks I feared she may miss her chance to see the critically endangered species.

Flamingo Wall proved to be a pleasant harbour wall down to 18m and then a flat coral encrusted lava flow out. It yielded a nice selection of octopus, cuttlefish, stingrays as well as the aforementioned angel sharks.

I was impressed. I wanted to see more of Lanzarote's sub-aqua environment. Moreover, even with my dive certifications I'd proven myself to be a competent diver and they were happy to take me deeper and further afield.



Octopus

Variable Seaslug

Moray Eeel

Seahorse

Angel Shark

Sea Bream

Cuttlefish

No comments:

Post a Comment