Wednesday 12 July 2017

Deep Rescue - 08/07/17

The ScotSAC Deep Rescue course is a requirement for a number of things. First, and my primary reason for wanting to do it, it is a prerequisite for undertaking ScotSAC's 50m qualification.It is also required by all divers wishing to obtain the First Class Diver Award.

Our club BDO had arranged for the course to take place at Seal Reef, St Catherines and all I had to do was provide a willing corpse and let's be honest, Jester would do for that! 

So off down to 30m we went Jester 'died' underwater and I begn the lift under the watchful eye of the regional instructor. It wasn't pretty as I reached 20m Jester began falling between my legs pulling me into a horizontal position - the natural position for my twinset and wing. I wasn't going to recover that - at least in my head - and any attempt to do so would of perhaps risked an uncontrolled ascent. I called cut and we descended and pottered about before coming back up. 

My second attempt went better we got all the way up without any difficulty and the only problem was applying the brakes for the safety stop. I did, just in time, but it reminded me of the moment when the lights change just before you reach them and you have to brake hard.

Quite a reintroduction to cold water diving.

No comments:

Post a Comment