Friday 18 April 2014

Fyne & Dandy - 16/04/2014

Laura gets the BBQ burning
As you'll know from my previous post my last dive attempt was aborted. Today I headed back to St Catherine's, Loch Fyne for a couple of evening dives. I was accompanied by Mr Fallsoveralot and Gillian on dive one and Grant and Laura on dive two.

Dive one began with a slow descent down to 10m, but Gill was having real trouble equalising so after about 10 minutes she aborted and returned to shore. Once I saw she was safely out of the water Grant and I headed back down, this time a bit deeper.

Visibility was excellent and as we worked our way around the reef I spotted a large Long Spined Sea Scorpion. Undoubtedly the star of the dive, it hung around for quite a while.

Back on the surface I turned to see that Laura had arrived and that the BBQ was smouldering. However, the BBQ was to be the focus of our activities. Thankfully, Laura showed impressive pyro skills and got it going in the drizzle. I then did the manly meat cooking and we had an impressive selection of sausages and burgers.

Dive 2 was to follow the same route as dive one but gave us a different selection of sea life. Including a large sepiola atlantica (cuttlefish) and one of the biggest dogfish I've ever seen (80-90cms). As Grant said, "I;m classing that as a shark dive." He even had a chance to touch it. It was very docile.

On either dive, however, there was no sign of the eel that we'd encountered last week.

Dogfish (Catshark)
Sea Scorpion
Sea Scorpion

Cuttlefish

Grant






No comments:

Post a Comment