Friday 20 February 2015

Return To Deeper Reef - 19/02/2015

In the post The Dive That Never Was I explained that the Kingmaker led me to a new part of Seal Reef which I'd never been to before. Tonight, armed with my 15l tank and Fast Ed as a buddy, we decided to return to the same bit of the reef.

On entry we encountered three emerging divers who told us to persevere with the poor visibility as it improved greatly beyond 10m. They weren't wrong. As we dropped through the halocline the visibility went from around 1-2m up to 4-5m. We turned and headed for the main reef, aided by a swift moving current which made light work of the swim. I appreciated this given I was still stiff from football and circuit training two days earlier.

We ecountered the second reef. The life on it was much the same as the main reef, but it was nice to explore new nooks and crannies. As we bottomed out at 32m we bumped into a nice little firework anemone (pictured below), then a large amount of rope. By this stage we were approaching deco (decompression limits, not the Portuguese footballer) so we began making our journey home doing a deep stop for good measure.

Once again, the current had turned and we were ably assisted back to our entry stopping for a few photographs on the way.  

On the surface we looked at our computers. While both Fast Ed and I have been considerably deeper we both recorded high average depths for the dive of over 18m. Even on some of my deepest dives beyond 40m I haven't recorded such a high average depth.

As we emerged we found more divers arriving. Sergeant Chris and The Wolf (so named because of a fancy dress costume he wore at Halloween one time). We shared some chuckles before Ed and I headed back to the Malt & Myre for a meal*. Good times.



The hungry scallop

Firework anemone

Firework anemone

Rope

Cushion star

* No matter what you order, even if it is just a bowl of chips or a glass of cola, the waitress always says, "Enjoy your meal". For no particular reason this always tickles Ed and I who like to think that with the addition of sauce and vinegar on the chips we have a three course meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment