Friday 3 February 2017

The Big Frewbowski & The Curious Case of the Missing Sock - 02/02/2017

Sunday's dive threw up a curious case of a missing Fourth Element Arctic sock. My initial theory was that I'd left it at Drishaig Reef last week. I convinced Jester that a return to the site was just what the Dr had ordered and explained about my lost sock. Inviting the Walkman along for the ride we met at Costa and headed up in what seemed to be storm like conditions.

Upon arrival in the I searched for the sock in the pouring rain before considering that it probably wasn't work the effort and opting to get changed in the car. Then just as we were heading into the water we entered the eye of the storm and a very sudden calm.

Now the Walkman hadn't ever seen a cuttlefish, a firework anemone or a thornback ray. The only thing we guaranteed was firework anemone's. 

The dive began slowly with a float down to around 30m, but it was on our return to the surface that real action happened. In total as a group we found:


  • 3 thornback rays
  • 2 cuttlefish
  • 2 red gurnards
  • >6 Firework anemones


In fact, I spent more time with thornback rays on the dive dive than I have in the preceding 360.

We returned to the surface somewhat astonished. I still haven't found the sock. The weather got worse as we dekitted.

I attach a trio of Jester original images of the three Thornback Rays.








No comments:

Post a Comment