Monday 6 February 2017

Rollercoasters - 04/02/2017

Ronan Keating once sang that life was a rollercoaster. I hated that song. Diving today also seemed like a bit of a rollercoaster. I had finally decided to finish my ScotSAC Master Diver qualification - a process that I began about 4 years ago. 


Crossing over from PADI Recue Diver was a relatively simply process that included:
  • 4  lectures
  • Underwater Kit removal
  • Expedition organiser
  • 2 assisted ascents from 20m
  • 2 assisted ascents from 30m
However, finding time to do it on a day when the club had instructors available proved more challenging. Getting time to do the 30m ascents proved particularly challenging. So with the bit beneath my teeth at the start of the year I arranged with the Barrman to organise a day of Master Diving training.

My willing instructor was Andy. Our plan for the two dives was to signal out of air, ascend from 30m to 6m at a nice slow rate. hold a safety stop and then descend straight back down and make our way back to the shore - twice.

The first dive saw me being the recipient of the donated air. I hate breathing off someone elses octopus. Unless of course it was a real emergency in which case I'd be more than happy to do it!!

We went down passing a lovely cushion star on the way down. Once at thirty odd metres I gave the signal and up we went. Now I had forgotten to turn off the deep stops on my computer so we spent a couple of minutes at 15m before continuing up to 6m. Then it was straight back down to make out way back to the shore,

The surface interval was delightful as the American made us bacon rolls.I had two.

The buddy check, saw us highlight how my regulator wasn't really optimal for sharing without a strange kink in the hose. I'll need to swap that over for future dives.

2 hours later we were back in repeating the exercise only this time I was donating....down, up, down, up. I emerged a ScotSAC Master Diver.

Celebrating a masterly dive




No comments:

Post a Comment