Tuesday 21 February 2017

The Dark Side - 20/02/2017

I've often heard of CCR divers as having converted to the Dark Side. I've always assumed this to be a reference to the the Rebreather's likeness to Darth Vader's breathing apparatus. This is slightly ironic because as all true Star Wars fans know in the movies they used a Dacor (now Mares) regulator to simulate that breathing noise.

Anyway, I only say this because tonight I joined the Kingmaker and the Gandalf of the Internet. In relation to the Gandalf of the Internet we don't really know what or who he is. Only that he is an international man of mystery and his exploits have somehow made the global interweb possible. He also likes to dive on a rebreather.

This meant that the Kingmaker was essentially my buddy for the evening as GotI was effectively a self sufficient solo diver. The Kingmaker had chosen Seal Reef, St Catherines as our dive spot which suited me. The earlier than normal departure meant that I was home by 9.30pm!


We descended through a little murk into what was ultimately pretty decent visibility and enjoyed a very calm dive. Until something disturbing happened. 

I pointed out a nudibranch and then a devonshire cup coral to GotI and he spoke to me. "What manner of underwater devilry is this?" I wondered. Then I remembered the dark side. On the dark side they have all manner of Sith skills. Including talking through their rebreathers. How very, very disturbing.


We ended the night sharing stories in the car on the way home and laughing at the Kingmaker. As I've always said, "Everyone takes there turn at being the bitch." Tonight it was his.

No comments:

Post a Comment