Sunday 20 May 2018

Going South - Part 4 500 - 10/05/2018

My 200th dive was memorable. It was in the Red Sea at a site called The Alternatives. My buddy was the Zookeeper and we had a prolonged encounter with my first scribbled filefish. It stayed with us most of the dive and I've never seen one since.

My 300th dive was also in Egypt and was at Ghobal Island with the Kingmaker. We saw my first and only ever stargazer fish.

By way of contrast, dive 400 was a very dull affair with someone who could barely dive at Twin Piers, Loch Long.

It's safe to say that I wanted to make 500 special. My buddy would be the Gandalf of the Internet and to make it special we would dive it with our cheap Chinese UV torches. It wouldn't be spectacular but it would be fun and it would, perhaps, throw up something interesting.

We swam away from the ever dwindling number of people diving on night dives and fired up the torches. At first I wasn't taking pictures thinking my camera would struggle with the strange white balance and, so, to my disappointment I never photographed the small bubble anemone that lit up furiously under the UV light. But I did snap some glowing corals.

We meandered around for 45 minutes. With that I was half way to 1,000 dives.

Glowing corals

Glowing corals

No comments:

Post a Comment