Friday 12 September 2014

Lost Quarry - 12/09/2014


Tonight my local ScotSAC club had decided to meet at Pilmuir Quarry, NewtonMearns (their training site) as the local swimming pool was still closed due to a technical problem. Meanwhile my own weekend diving plans had been thrown into disarray due to a short notice work trip to Amsterdam. So, tonight was my only chance to get wet this weekend.

My buddies for the evening were two newly qualified divers with 33 dives between them - Chris & Dougie

We chatted about our plan - dive out towards the sunken boat (heading 150 degrees) then hug the quarry wall back to the platform. Easy huh? That's what I said to Marion just before I plopped into the water.



For those who've never dived the quarry, the visibility can (in my experience) range from around 5m to less than 1m all in the same dive. I'd say this averaged around 1-2m. 

On the way out I began to get feeling I was off course and signalled 'up' to the guys for a look about. I couldn't believe it. I was literally 2m from the boat an couldn't see it. We then headed back down the shot before making a leisurely return keeping the quarry wall on our right shoulders.

This was a nice way to spend a Friday evening.





Chris

Reaching the wreck

Pipe

Weeds

More weeds

Wee fish

Using the loo


No comments:

Post a Comment