Tuesday 2 September 2014

Nice Bucket Challenge - 31/08/2014

With the Zookeeper and the Announcer away to the Sound of Mull and TDFKAMF's suit in for repair, it fell to a pitying wife to ensure that I could have a dive this weekend.

The first question Gill.I.Am asks about any site is "what stuff's been sunk there?" Yip, she likes 'sunk stuff'. So it was with interest that she'd read my recent posts about St Catherine's sunken speedboat. Moreover, today's site choice also required easy 'into sea run' due to Gill filming her alternative ice bucket challenge.

In short, this meant that I visited Seal Reef, St Catherine's, Loch Fyne for the third time in 11 days.

At the site today were a selection of people from my diving past and present including:


  • 4 members of my local ScotSAC club (including Wednesday's buddy Campbell who was now bandaged after a gardening incident)
  • 1 former PADI instructor of mine and his buddy
  • 3 members of Clydebank ScotSAC


Despite the volume of different groups, the site had quite a cordial feel to it. So, Gill and I kitted up and headed in. With the visibility initially around 2m I missed the speedboat, turned and came back to find it at 20m. Gill later, mentioned she was surprised to see it emerge from the gloom, as she thought I'd given up trying to find it. I think she liked it. My own difficulty finding it in low vis made me think that it could be worth buoying as it's a site often used by scub-newbs who may appreciate a surface guide. 

By the time we got out the water almost everyone had packed up and headed off. Which suited Gill fine as she was still to her glory run into the sea sans drysuit. She did, we had lunch and then headed back. 


Exploring wreck 1

Exploring wreck 2

Exploring wreck 3

Anemones

Whelk

No comments:

Post a Comment