Sunday 28 September 2014

The Poseidon's Parlour Seal of Approval - 26/09/2014

Yesterday I meandered down to the Farne Islands, England with Ace Divers. A few chums had been booked on the trip for quite sometime, but I heldoff until I saw the weather report. It's a risky approach in terms of availability, but I've never  regretted not being there when the weather is poor.

My buddy for the day was the Zookeeper, with the occassional appearance from Alky-Fras who was solo diving but hanging around us every so often.

If any of you have never been there before the Farne Islands are group of islands of the North East coast of England. In diving terms they are notable for two things:


  • a selection of over 40 shipwrecks
  • a colony of over 6,000 grey seals


Our diving for the day was focused on the seals.

I've dived here before on a couple of occassions and it was that I first met the Zookeeper last year. So I was pretty familiar with what was going to happen. :)  Due to tides, we dived the same spot twice but had quite different experiences.

The first dive averaged about 6m and it took us about 15 mintes before we had our first close encounter, but when it happened it happened in the usual style - fin nibbling. I was busy filming one nibbling the Zookeeper when I felt a tug on my own. I looked round to see two, one on each fin, like a pair of comedy seal skin slippers.

From then on in it was seal interaction gold. I was diving a 15l tank (thanks Campbell) so even after an hour underwater I still had 150 bar left!

After lunch and a cup of tea I was  ready for a more scenic dive, but most of the people wanted more seals - can you ever have enough?

The tide was in so the dive site had changed somewhat. Most people hung around the main seal entry exit point, but we went off on a wee adventure. We found some nice stuff too:


  • an octopus
  • a bloody henry or two
  • millions of nudibranchs
  • more seals
  • loads of common lobsters
  • squaties etc

Ahter my experimentation with macros last week I started trying to photograph the nudibranchs. As I did I felt a mouth round my head. Sadly, the Zookeepers camera battery had died, but it seems I was wearing a seal like a top hat. We stayed down for 58 minutes.

Nobody on the boat was seasick largely thanks to Stugeron.

The Zookeeper is excited








Scorpiofish 
Nudibranch

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a delightful post!
    Last week Mark told me that there was still a space going for this trip but I said "Nah, I'm too busy at the moment, we'll do it next year". WHAT WAS I THINKING!?
    I have been lamenting my decision all weekend after seeing a steady stream of fabulous pics popping up on various trip-goers Facebook feeds.
    I am so glad you all had a great day with so many amazing seal encounters.
    Cheers for yet another brilliant post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a nice easy dive. Just remember your Stugeron. :)

    ReplyDelete