Wednesday 8 October 2014

Here Comes the Night - 07/10/2014

Today, in Glasgow, the sun set at 18:37. That meant one thing - tonight was my first night dive of the coming winter.

I've you've never dived at night you are missing out on the one of the best diving experiences. As long as you're armed with a decent torch, a backup torch and, if both you and your buddy agree, a strobe* then you're pretty much ready to go .

For night diving in Scotland I currently use:

My first night dive was on the 10th January, 2013 at Finnart. Since then I've probably done about 50 night dives. Meaning that night dives account for a little less than a third of my dives.  However, as I've said this was my first of the new night diving season. :) For the benefit of those readers not from Scotland, Scotland has very long days in the summer meaning that between May and September night diving is a little impractical. Although, in the winter you get just 8 hours of daylight, making it a cold water night diving paradise for seven months of the year!

Tonight we (the Mermaid, Fast Ed and I  headed for Seal Reef, St Catherine's, Loch Fyne. 

The drive down to the loch was spectacular as the sun set over loch. Arriving at the site a little later than planned the Mermaid and I apologised to Fast Ed and blamed everyone else except ourselves.

Entering the water in the dark it became clear that, in the shallows at least, the visibility was poor - less than 2m.   However, as we descended down the slope it opened up to a beautiful 5-6m or as far as your torch could penetrate.

We went down to the speedboat and then turned to the reef. I had promised the guys that the strip of sand between the boat and the reef was Cuttlefish Central. It didn't disappoint. At least two cuttlefish were spotted and papped along with a docile pipefish.

Now, I'm glad a few weeks ago I began to experiment with macros, because having never been able to spot nudibranchs in the past it is as though the scales have fallen from my eyes. I now see them everywhere. Including in my sleep which can't be normal.

Anyway, I digress! As I was photographing the 2nd nudi you can see below I heard the rattle of the Mermaids shaker. Prior to the dive she had told us she'd only shake for something special or being in danger. She had found a large scorpionfish. 

I went over and began snapping away....."Work it, oh yeah, give me just a little more, yeah that's it, uh huh, you're a monkey, you're a tree, yeah baby!"

Then just as I was getting the money shot, something swam from beneath my belly that none of us had noticed - a second scorpionfish. Well, I'm man enough to admit I yelped with fright much to the delight of Fast Ed and the Mermaid. 

We then headed back to shore,but not before I noticed a weird purple plankton bloom from 3m up. I tried to take a picture of it but it came out totally rubbish.

54 minutes, 21 metres and a whole lot of fun in the dark.




The sun sets
Cuttlefish
Pipefish
Nudibranch
Nudibranch & sea squirt
Scorpionfish
Spider crab (sea toad)

* Not everyone likes using a strobe and some think it can be detrimental to your night diving experience, particularly in tropical waters. The one thing I would say is that here in Scotland I have on occasion lost sight of my buddy and her torch in dark, poor visibility, but I've still been able to hear and see the strobe.

2 comments: