Wednesday 26 March 2014

Bruce Willis Ruins All Films - 26/03/2014

On Sunday I offered to go diving with a friend of a friend, however by the time he got my message he had booked on a RHIB. As such I never went diving. However, my acquaintance's experience would be quite different.

He (Diver 1) was to dive with another diver (Diver 2). They kitted up and headed for their target wreck on the RHIB, a token buddy check - they were afterall experienced divers - and down they went to over 30m. On the return the second diver was starting to feel very 'floaty' and, while trying to deploy a DSMB, rocketed to the surface. Leaving Diver 1 at the bottom of the ocean and having to ascend safely on their own.

Meanwhile on the surface helicopters were scrambled, the coast guard was called and hospitals were put on standby. Another 'bent' diver was to be assisted at great cost to the taxpayer. The reason? At least one of the divers failed to do a proper check with their buddy and had forgotten to put on their weight belt. 


Diver 2, also an acquaintance, is out of the woods and back home recovering thankfully.

This is why we buddy check. Not because we don't trust one another to put their kit on, but rather because we do trust one another to ensure that we're going into the water safely.

As for the title of this post, that's how I remember it - I was taught it at my very first SCUBA pool session.

  • Bruce   = Buoyancy  - check BCD and drysuit
  • Willis    = Weights    - right hand release weight belt and integrated into BCD
  • Ruins    = Releases - BCD straps / weight clips on BCD
  • All         = Air             - have I got air? Is it switched on?  Check my pony too.
  • Films    = Final OK   - mask, fins, etc
Finally, if my buddy refuses to do a buddy check it's simple - I'm not diving. Instead I'll go watch Bruce Willis ruin a perfectly good movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment